Should You Cut Your House Price or Wait?

Should You Cut Your House Price or Wait?

Should You Cut Your House Price or Wait?

Your house has been on the market for a few weeks or a few months. You're getting some showings, but nobody's writing an offer, and now your agent is bringing up a price reduction. So, do you cut the price or wait? When a seller tells me they want to wait, my first question is always wait for what. Are we waiting for someone to pay the price we're asking, for rates to come down, for more buyers to show up? I'm open to that conversation, but I want to know what we actually expect to change, because there's a real chance we're in this same market for a while, and none of us can predict rates three months out or whether a buyer who wouldn't pay your price today suddenly will in December. We have to decide with the information in front of us right now.

Look Past Days on Market to What Actually Happened

Three weeks on the market can mean very different things depending on where you live and what you're selling, so I'm not going to tell you every home needs a reduction after 21 days. What matters more is what happened during those three weeks. Did you get a lot of activity the first weekend and then nothing? Are buyers touring other homes nearby and passing on yours? Have comparable homes gone under contract while yours sat? I ask for feedback after every showing, even though some agents respond and some never do, because I want to know what buyers are actually saying, beyond how many simply walked through. If someone doesn't like the floor plan or the street, there's nothing to fix there, and I still want to know it, especially if I keep hearing the same thing from multiple showings. But if I'm hearing a buyer liked the house but thought it was priced too high, that's worth digging into further: what did they compare it to, is there a similar home down the street for less, is the floor plan next door nearly identical but priced lower? One buyer saying the price feels high doesn't mean much on its own, buyers would love for everything to cost less. But if several agents independently tell me the same thing and we're not getting offers, that's information I owe you even when it's not what either of us wants to hear.

Sometimes the feedback sounds genuinely positive and then goes quiet. An agent says their buyer loved it and is thinking it over, and then you never hear from them again. I want to know why. Did they buy something else that offered more for the money, in better condition, or priced where they felt comfortable making a move? And if you're barely getting showings at all, that tells you something too, since buyers can see your price, photos, and location online and are choosing not to come see it in person. That's exactly why I don't want to assume every listing problem is automatically a pricing problem.

Rule Out Everything Else Before Blaming Price

Before recommending a reduction, I make sure the photos actually represent the home well, the listing details are accurate, and buyers can get in easily to see it. Showings that require three days notice or are limited to a narrow weekly window will absolutely suppress activity, and that's a fixable problem that has nothing to do with price. Address what you can control first, then look at price once those pieces are actually in order.

What Waiting Actually Costs You

The longer a home sits, the more buyers assume one of two things: it's overpriced, or something's wrong with it. That may not be fair, but it's how a lot of buyers react to rising days on market. You can end up chasing the market down, too. Say your home is listed at $800,000, a competing home lists at $785,000 and goes under contract, another lists at $779,000 and gets strong activity, and you're still sitting at $800,000 thinking someone will eventually just make an offer. Some will, but a lot of buyers won't even put your home on their showing list once they assume you're not being realistic. That's exactly why I'm not a fan of the advice to list high because you can always come down, since the real question is what happens while you wait. The buyers who were actively looking when your home first hit the market saw it at that price and may have already moved on, meaning you now have to give them a new reason to reconsider rather than simply lowering a number they've already dismissed.

How Much to Reduce, If You Do

There's no single number that works for every home, it depends entirely on the competition. Going back to the $800,000 example, if the homes buyers are actually choosing sit around $775,000, dropping to $795,000 probably won't change much, since you're still asking buyers to pay more without a clear reason why. That doesn't mean pricing below everything else on the market either, if your home has a better lot, location, or upgrades, the new price should reflect that when a buyer puts the properties side by side. I'm also cautious about leaning on incentives like a credit or rate buydown to solve a pricing problem, since those can help close a deal with a buyer who's already interested, but they won't get a buyer to schedule a showing they weren't going to book in the first place.

Ask Why You Listed in the First Place

Before deciding to wait, it's worth asking why you put the house on the market to begin with. Maybe you needed more space, the floor plan stopped working, or you're relocating for work. Waiting doesn't change any of that; six months from now you may still need that extra bedroom. But if you don't actually need to move and would only sell at a specific number, waiting or even taking the home off the market can make more sense than reducing the price. If you do need to sell, give it more time only alongside an honest conversation about how much time you actually have and what you're watching for, a certain number of showings, new competing listings, or what a similar property sells for, so you're sticking to the plan instead of moving the deadline every time a reduction feels uncomfortable.

Don't Dismiss an Offer You Don't Love

If an offer comes in lower than you hoped, it's tempting to wait for something better. In my experience, your first offer or two are usually the best offers you'll get, and it's rare for a stronger one to show up later, especially once you've been sitting for 30, 40, or 50 days. I've heard plenty of sellers who rejected an early offer tell me months later they wished they'd taken it, sometimes after sitting another month or two and selling for less in the end than that first number. I've also seen sellers hold firm and end up with something better, so it isn't a guaranteed outcome either way. The real question isn't whether a lower number is disappointing, it obviously is, it's whether there's actual evidence another buyer will pay more, and what it might cost in time to find out. That evidence should come from comps and real activity, not hope. Time itself has a cost: a vacant home still means a mortgage, insurance, taxes, and upkeep, and if you've already moved, you may be carrying two properties at once. Even if none of that applies to you directly, none of us know what the market looks like a month from now, so waiting isn't automatically free just because it doesn't cost you cash out of pocket today.

Remember the Other Side of Your Move

If you're selling to buy another home, look at the whole move rather than this single number. Giving a buyer more room to negotiate on your sale often means you'll find more room to negotiate on the home you're buying too, whether that's a lower price or credits on that side. The two numbers won't always offset perfectly, especially across different markets or property types, but the decision shouldn't rest solely on what you hoped to get for the home you're selling. Weigh it against what it actually costs to make the move you wanted in the first place, and you'll have a far more informed answer than simply reacting to a number you don't like.

Thinking about selling your home?

Let's talk through your situation and build a plan, whether that's working with me directly here in Huntington Beach and Orange County, or connecting you with a trusted agent in your area.

Get in touch →

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I should cut my house price or wait?

Look at what's actually happened during your listing period: showing volume, agent feedback, and whether comparable homes have gone under contract at lower prices. If buyers are touring other homes and passing on yours, or showings have dropped off entirely, that points toward a pricing issue rather than simply needing more time.

How long should I wait before reducing my home's price?

There's no universal number of days, since it depends on what's normal for your specific market. Three weeks with no activity might be a serious signal in a market where comparable homes sell in two weeks, but completely normal in a market where similar homes typically take 45 days.

How much should I reduce my home's price by?

Base the number on what comparable homes that are actually attracting buyers are priced at, not a fixed percentage. A small reduction that still leaves your home priced above the competition without a clear reason, like a better lot or more upgrades, often won't generate meaningful new interest.

Should I accept a lower offer on my house instead of waiting for a better one?

It's worth taking seriously. The first offer or two on a home are often the best offers a seller will receive, and waiting for a better one that may not materialize can mean sitting on the market longer and sometimes settling for less later. Evaluate the offer's actual terms rather than dismissing it purely because the number feels disappointing.

What should I check before assuming my home's price is the problem?

Confirm the listing photos represent the home well, the listing details are accurate, and buyers have reasonable access to schedule showings. Restrictive showing windows or notice requirements can suppress activity just as much as pricing, and those issues are worth fixing before touching the price.

Does waiting to sell my house affect the home I'm buying next?

It can. If you give buyers more room to negotiate on your sale, you may find more room to negotiate on the home you're purchasing as well. It's worth evaluating the full cost of your move rather than focusing only on the number you hoped to get for your current home.

By Jeb Smith • October 13, 2026
Jeb Smith, Orange County Realtor breaks down the four different housing markets, cash buyers, financed buyers, rate-locked owners, and builders, and what each means for you
By Jeb Smith • October 5, 2026
Jeb Smith shares 10 things to start clearing out years before you sell your house, from garage clutter to paperwork, so you're not sorting it all at once.
By Jeb Smith • October 5, 2026
Jeb Smith breaks down why mortgage rates climbed back toward 7.5%, what the bond market and national debt have to do with it, and what buyers should do
By Jeb Smith • September 28, 2026
Jeb Smith breaks down 10 small, inexpensive things that make a home look cheap to buyers, and why dated and clean beats remodeled and neglected.
By Jeb Smith • September 28, 2026
Jeb Smith breaks down how DSCR loans work for real estate investors, why lenders qualify the property instead of your income, and what drives the cost.
By Jeb Smith • September 21, 2026
Jeb Smith breaks down 10 decisions to think through before selling your home after 55, from capital gains to downsizing math to Prop 19 in California.
By Jeb Smith • September 21, 2026
Jeb Smith walks through the full process he uses to decide what to offer on a house, from comps and listing history to competition and offer structure
By Jeb Smith • September 14, 2026
Jeb Smith explains what sellers need to adjust for in a slower fall and winter housing market, from rates to price reductions to condo financing.
By Jeb Smith • September 14, 2026
Jeb Smith breaks down how to tell if a seller actually has room to negotiate on price, beyond simply knowing they're motivated to sell their home.
By Jeb Smith • September 8, 2026
Jeb Smith breaks down 10 things sellers should think twice about, from accepting an offer to handing over keys, before saying yes during a home sale.