Planning to Sell? Think Like a Buyer. If you’re considering selling your home, there is a benefit of thinking of your house from someone else’s perspective. Doing so may allow it to sell faster and potentially for more money. The information below outlines three questions to ask yourself to help you view your home objectively and differentiate it from other homes in the market.
Although the majority of home buyers initially search online for the right home to purchase, more than 63 percent will walk through the home and nearly half will drive by it to get a view of the exterior. Photographs are great for first impressions but driving by the property provides a different perspective that allows buyers to get an idea of the home’s current status. A home with great curb appeal will entice potential buyers and prompt them to schedule a showing. What would stoke buyers’ interest in your home? Think like a buyer to find out.
Take a walk around your home’s exterior. Make a list of areas that need cleaning or repairs.
- What’s the first impress of your home? Answer the questions as someone who’s never seen the home before instead of as the homeowner. Write a few words or phrases that describe yoru home, such as “classic”, “homey”, “well-landscaped”, etc…
- What are the home’s best features? Note the features that stand out, such as a wraparound porch, classic columns, a well-maintained facade, etc…How can you enhance them? For example, if you want to highlight a wraparound porch, decorate it with hanging and potted seasonal flowers and place seating where appropriate to crate a tidy but inviting feel.
- Which features should be minimized or improved? These are the features you’d prefer didnt’ stand out to potential buyers, such as a spot in the yard where nothing grows or visible garden hoses. What can you do to help the features blend into the scenery and allow buyers to focus on the best features of the home?
Enlist help to prioritize. By the end of the walk, we may have a list of things you’d like to improve. I can also help you determine which changes are most important as well as connect you with a reputable tradesperson or service professional in our local area.
*Small details can make all the difference. To improve you home’s overall impression, do the following:
- Clean or update your window treatments to ensure they create a uniform appearance when closed
- Polish hardware and fixtures so the metal shines like new
- Replace light bulbs in indoor/outdoor lighting fixtures
- Place solar light fixtures along your walkway
*Source: National Association of REALTORS, 2017 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers
If you’re planning to sell, I can help you prioritize the updates that will help put your home n the best light. Give Huntington Beach Realtor, Jeb Smith a call at 714.376.2711 to discuss.
All material above is the material of Buffini and Company. All rights reserved.