If you’re considering purchasing a Huntington Beach home, you’ve likely heard the term “home inspection” floating around. It’s an important part of the process, and one you shouldn’t skip. The home inspection gives you the opportunity to learn everything you can about your future Huntington Beach home before agreeing to purchase it. Here are some important questions to ask your home inspector!
- Tell me about your experience as a home inspector, including how many inspections you have completed. Any reputable inspector will be happy to talk to you about their experience, and most will give you a list of referrals to contact.
- Are you experienced in residential inspections? Some home inspectors bring their construction or engineering experience up, but the home inspector you hire should be specifically skilled at residential inspections.
- How much time will the inspection take? Of course, this is helpful for planning your schedule, but this question is actually a bit backhanded. The answer helps you determine if your inspector is dedicating adequate time for your inspection. It should take about two to three hours for a typical single-family home with one inspector.
- How much do I owe you? Pricing varies with home inspections, but you can expect to spend between $300 and $500 for a typical one. It really depends on the size and age of your Huntington Beach home.
- What does the inspection cover? The answer to this question will help ensure that the inspection and report will satisfy all applicable requirements. Make sure to point out any areas you would like inspected, and identify them to your inspector upfront.
- Will I be able to attend the inspection? This is a big moment for you, and being at the inspection will give you a lot of peace of mind. Consider it an educational opportunity to learn more about your home. If your inspector refuses to let you attend, you might consider going with someone else. Inspectors are human, and they realize how big of an investment this is, which is why most will let you tag along so you can ask questions and get clarification when needed.
Interested in Huntington Beach homes for sale? I’m a local real estate agent and I’d love to assist you with your search.