If you’re a Huntington Beach home owner who is about to send a child off to college for the first time, there’s some things you need to know. First off, don’t select your freshman’s bedding for them (like my mother did); this is your student’s first foray into independence, so it’s important they feel confident about their new space. Sit down with your college freshman and share these ten must-have items before you begin shopping!
- Bedding: Look for a bright duvet cover that will add a punch of color to the space. Don’t forget too that most dorm beds are twin extra-longs, and you will need Twin XL bedding!
- Rug: Add a fluffy rug to give you the illusion of home. Many dorm rooms have sterile flooring like linoleum that’s easy to clean, but it can be very drab.
- Desk lamp: You’re going to log a lot of hours at your desk, so invest in a lamp (or two). They will also make your dorm room feel a lot more cozy.
- Closet Storage Materials: Invest in slim-line hangers so you will have more room for all of your stuff. College closets can be small, so look for things like shoe pockets and jewelry organizers that will save you space.
- Kitchen Basics: You will probably have a mini-fridge and microwave in your dorm room, so grab a plate or two and some silverware. It’s also nice to have a couple of drinking glasses on hand.
- Bath Caddy: This will likely be your first experience with communal bathrooms, so it pays to be prepared. Get a bath caddy where you can house your toiletries, which make them easier to cart back and forth.
- Laundry Bag: Laundry bags make the trip down to the coin-op laundry room easier, so look for one that will house your clothes, detergent, dryer sheets, and of course, quarters.
- Cleaning Supplies: While you will probably have periodic maid service, take some cleaning supplies with you to tidy up in between. A Swiffer, disinfecting wipes, Windex, and Magic Erasers should do the trick.
- Fan: It’s highly unlikely you’ll have A/C, so take a small fan with you.
- Artwork/Photos: Whether you have a favorite painting, or you’re more of a photos person, taking these things with you can make your dorm room feel more homey.
Looking for a Huntington Beach home to call your own? I’m a local real estate agent and would love to show you around, so please contact me today.